Mostrando 48 resultados

Registro de autoridad

Board of Governors

  • MEUA
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1970-

Selected by The Alberta Colleges Commission, the Board of Governors of Edmonton College held its first meeting on April 29, 1970. Chaired by Barry Moore, membership also included Winnifred Ferguson, Robert Guebert, Fred Kurylo, and Edward Stack. Early priorities included changing the name of the institution, and on July 15, 1970 it was agreed that the Honourable Dr. J. W. Grant MacEwan be selected as namesake. The Board also identified the intent of the College as a community college that would not focus on university transfer, which set it apart from other Alberta institutions. It subsequently hired the first president, John L. Haar, who accepted the Board's offer on October 16, 1970.

The Board of Governors of Grant MacEwan University is a corporation, as set out in the Alberta Post-Secondary Learning Act. As the senior authority for the University, the Board is accountable to the Minister of Advanced Education and ultimately, the people of Alberta. The Board manages and operates the University within its approved mandate, establishing policies to govern the affairs of the University. On an annual basis, the Board submits a Comprehensive Institutional Plan and Audited Financial Statements to the Minister.

Theatre Department

  • MEUA
  • Entidad colectiva
  • [1978?]-

Part of the Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications, the department includes two diploma programs: Theatre Arts, and Theatre Production. In Fall 2022, Music Theatre Performance and Theatre Production majors will be offered as part of the Bachelor of Fine Arts.
Theatre diploma appears in 1978-1979 annual report for the first time. The department was housed at the Centre for the Arts and Communications campus from 1981 until campus closure in 2017, when it moved to Allard Hall on City Centre Campus.

Gray, Dorothy, 1941-2012

  • MEUA
  • Persona
  • 1941-2012

Dorothy Helen Gray was born in Brantford, Manitoba on May 28, 1941 and spent her early years in Calgary and Toronto. She received degrees from the University of Alberta, a BEd in 1966 and an MEd in 1990. In 1979, Dorothy became a faculty member of Grant MacEwan Community College. During her time at MacEwan she was the recipient of both the MacEwan Medallion and the Emeritus Award.

During her professional career as an English instructor and following her retirement, she was actively involved in volunteering with the Students' Association, MacEwan Day and Open House. Passionate about local history, she maintained a close connection with Dr. J. W. Grant MacEwan and his family.

Following her death in February 6, 2012 at the Edmonton General Hospital, the Dorothy Gray Award was established to recognize a university employee who had demonstrated service and support to Students' Association programs, services and initiatives above and beyond their job requirements. In 2012 the Students' Association named the Gray Gallery, space for student art works, in her honour.

Institutional Analysis and Planning

  • MEUA
  • Entidad colectiva
  • [1972?]-

Academic Quality Assurance and Accreditation (AQuAA), formerly known as Program Services, was formed in September 2009. In June 2013 AQuAA and Institutional Research and Planning amalgamate into a single department called Institutional Analysis and Planning (IAP).

Institutional Analysis & Planning's (IAP) core activities center on gathering data, interpreting and accurately reporting data from multiple sources, supporting academic initiatives of the institution, and contributing to strategic planning initiatives. The gathering of information manifests primarily in surveys, environmental scans and the mining of data warehouses.

Alberta College

  • MEUA
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1903-2020

Dr. T.C. Buchanan, pastor of McDougall Methodist Church in Edmonton, founded the province's first post-secondary institution in 1903 on Methodist Mission land set aside for missionary and education purposes by Reverend George McDougall. Although originally named McDougall College in honour of this early missionary to the Edmonton area, the founders soon abandoned this designation in favour of Alberta College. The college's first classes assembled on October 5, 1903 in the space above the Johnstone Walker Store on Jasper Avenue. Within two months, the original 67 students, along with four teaching staff, moved to the Masonic Hall to continue their studies in Arts, Commerce and Music under the direction of the school's first principal, Reverend Dr. John H. Riddell. The Northwest Territory Council granted a charter to Alberta College in October 1904, at which time the school moved into a new building on 101st Street, on the grounds of McDougall Methodist Church. The institution continued to undergo a number of changes, including new campuses, buildings, and the transfer to the United Church in 1926. Enrollment continued to expand in the 1930s to the 1980s.

In 1991, the provincial government passed amendments to the Alberta College Act to continue college operations as a private college independent of the United Church. Work also began on a two-phase construction project for a new facility. In 2000, the Board transferred college assets to the province, and on July 1, 2002 the facility and the majority of its programming was transferred to Grant MacEwan College. The Alberta College Campus offered academic upgrading, English as a Second Language (ESL), and the Royal Conservatory of Music. It continued as a MacEwan University campus until 2020, when programming moved to Allard Hall located on City Centre Campus.

Hutton, John, 1943-1989

  • MEUA
  • Persona
  • 1943-1989

John Hutton started working as a full time instructor in the Social Work program at Grant MacEwan Community College on September 1, 1979. He had a Master's degree in social work (University of Calgary), a degree in theology (St. Stephen's College, University of Alberta), and took a leave of absence from 1985-1987 to earn a doctorate in social work (Columbia University, New York). During his time at GMCC, he served on Academic Council, the Faculty Association negotiating committee, and as co-chairman of the Family Institute. He taught outreach courses at Slave Lake, Grouard, High Level, the Blood Indian Reserve near Fort Macleod, and the Mennonite Centre for Newcomers in Edmonton. He also worked with a number of groups, including serving as a board member for the AIDS Network, past-president of the Alberta Association of Social Workers, and with city agencies Operation Friendship and Urban Manor. He died December 24, 1989 at age 46 from a heart attack. The John Hutton Memorial Award for Social Work students excelling in the Social Policy course is named in his honour.

Faculty Association

  • MEUA
  • 1971-

Academic Staff Association – constitution approved at the September 16, 1971 meeting of the faculty association.

The Grant MacEwan University Faculty Association (GMUFA) negotiates the terms and conditions of employment for their members and ensures the application and interpretation of the Collective Agreement.

Presidents
John Hart (1971-1972), Lorne Yacuk (1972-1974), Karl Homann (1974-1976), Jay Handel (1976-1978), Christy Nelson (1978-1980), Eric McCorkell (1980-1982), David Milner (1982-1984), Dolf Ryks (1984-1987), Bert Giles (1987-1991), David Milner (1991-1995), Kathryn Jones (1995-1999), Dolf Ryks (1999-2005), D. Fisher (2005-2009), J. Zdril (2009-2???), Chris Hancock.

Fund Development

  • MEUA
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1980-

Originally known as the Grant MacEwan Community College Foundation, it was established in 1980 to raise money to support projects offered by the college that exceeded the allocation from Alberta Advanced Education. By 1992, the foundation had raised approximately $17 million from alumni, friends, service clubs, corporations, and other foundations on behalf of the college.

Resultados 11 a 20 de 48