Showing 49 results

Authority record

Academic Affairs

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • [1976?]-

Academic Affairs first appeared on organizational charts on June 15, 1976. Possibly preceded by the Academic Division (org chart from June 29, 1971).

Within a shared governance framework, Academic Affairs is responsible for academic program development and delivery, scholarly activity, academic policies, enrolment management, educational technology, the Office of Teaching and Learning Services, and a number of supporting functions to support learner success and faculty engagement. In addition, Academic Affairs is accountable for the institutional and educational technology mandate at MacEwan as well as the requirements of Institutional Research.

Academic Governance Council

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • 1972-

Academic Council held its first meeting March 7th, 1972, and its constitution was ratified May 10, 1972. The Academic Governance Council (AGC) was established in December 2008, with its Bylaws approved by AGC at its first meeting in January 2009 (Motion AGC-05-01-20-2009). AGC is responsible for academic standards, integrity, policies, programs, as well as scholarship, research, and creative activities at MacEwan University.

Alberta College

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • 1903-2020

Dr. T.C. Buchanan, pastor of McDougall Methodist Church in Edmonton, founded the province's first post-secondary institution in 1903 on Methodist Mission land set aside for missionary and education purposes by Reverend George McDougall. Although originally named McDougall College in honour of this early missionary to the Edmonton area, the founders soon abandoned this designation in favour of Alberta College. The college's first classes assembled on October 5, 1903 in the space above the Johnstone Walker Store on Jasper Avenue. Within two months, the original 67 students, along with four teaching staff, moved to the Masonic Hall to continue their studies in Arts, Commerce and Music under the direction of the school's first principal, Reverend Dr. John H. Riddell. The Northwest Territory Council granted a charter to Alberta College in October 1904, at which time the school moved into a new building on 101st Street, on the grounds of McDougall Methodist Church. The institution continued to undergo a number of changes, including new campuses, buildings, and the transfer to the United Church in 1926. Enrollment continued to expand in the 1930s to the 1980s.

In 1991, the provincial government passed amendments to the Alberta College Act to continue college operations as a private college independent of the United Church. Work also began on a two-phase construction project for a new facility. In 2000, the Board transferred college assets to the province, and on July 1, 2002 the facility and the majority of its programming was transferred to Grant MacEwan College. The Alberta College Campus offered academic upgrading, English as a Second Language (ESL), and the Royal Conservatory of Music. It continued as a MacEwan University campus until 2020, when programming moved to Allard Hall located on City Centre Campus.

Alumni Association

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-

Established in 1985, the Alumni Association's goals were to re-establish contact with past alumni and to provide access to resources and services to meet the needs of its members. It reported to a variety of departments including Community Relations, the Students' Association, and College Advancement. In 2015, Alumni Relations and Fundraising merged into a single department named Alumni and Development.

Art and Design Department

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • 1974-

Part of the Faculty of Fine Arts and Communications, the department is comprised of two programs: Fine Art, and Design Studies.

The Fine Art and Design programs have evolved substantially over the years, beginning as a combined diploma and eventually separating into distinct programs. The Design program was first offered in the 1974-1975 academic year as Design Arts and included the majors Advertising Artist, Interior Design Technician, and Store Display Designer. In 1976-1977, it also included fine art offerings with the addition of Painting and Sculpture. In the 1982-1984 program brochure, Design Arts offered the following majors: Fine Art, Display and Visual Presentation, Fiber Arts, and Advertising Art (including the options Environmental Design and Graphic Design). 1986-1987 saw Design and Fine Art separated for the first time when both a Visual Arts diploma and a Visual Communication diploma were offered. The Fine Art program was recognized as such in the 1991-1992 academic year, and Design Studies in 2005-2006. The Bachelor of Design was offered in Fall 2019. The Bachelor of Fine Arts will be offered Fall 2022 with Arts and Cultural Management, Studio Arts, Music Theatre Performance and Theatre Production majors.

The department was housed at the Centre for the Arts and Communications campus from 1981 until campus closure in 2017, when it moved to Allard Hall on City Centre Campus.

Arts and Cultural Management program

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • 1979-

The Arts Administration program was proposed in 1972 , funded in 1979, and was the first college-level arts administration certificate to be established in Canada. In 2000 it was renamed Arts and Cultural Management, and in 2004 it became possible to complete the program entirely online. In 2010 it became a diploma program.

Program Head/Chair: Donna Cardinal (1979-1982?), Dianne Allen (1982?-1990), Denise Roy (1990-1998, 2018-2019), Rose Ginther (co-chair 1995-1998, 1998-2017), Leslie Vermeer, (Interim Chair, 2019-present).

A two year diploma program, courses offer practical skills and specialized knowledge including an understanding of cultural policy, building leadership potential, and developing audiences and resources. It includes a field placement in the arts and culture sector.

Board of Governors

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • 1970-

Selected by The Alberta Colleges Commission, the Board of Governors of Edmonton College held its first meeting on April 29, 1970. Chaired by Barry Moore, membership also included Winnifred Ferguson, Robert Guebert, Fred Kurylo, and Edward Stack. Early priorities included changing the name of the institution, and on July 15, 1970 it was agreed that the Honourable Dr. J. W. Grant MacEwan be selected as namesake. The Board also identified the intent of the College as a community college that would not focus on university transfer, which set it apart from other Alberta institutions. It subsequently hired the first president, John L. Haar, who accepted the Board's offer on October 16, 1970.

The Board of Governors of Grant MacEwan University is a corporation, as set out in the Alberta Post-Secondary Learning Act. As the senior authority for the University, the Board is accountable to the Minister of Advanced Education and ultimately, the people of Alberta. The Board manages and operates the University within its approved mandate, establishing policies to govern the affairs of the University. On an annual basis, the Board submits a Comprehensive Institutional Plan and Audited Financial Statements to the Minister.

Communication Department

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • 1971-

Communication Arts was one of the first programs offered at Grant MacEwan Community College in 1971. It was part of the Arts Techniques Department along with Fashion Sales Technician, and Library Technician. In 1972, it became part of the Applied Arts Division, and offered three programs: Advertising and Public Relations, Audio Visual Technician, and Journalism.

The proposal for the Bachelor of Applied Communications in Professional Writing was approved by Alberta Learning on December 1, 1999, and offered September 2000. A diploma exit option in Professional Writing was offered in 2002.

The Bachelor of Applied Communications in Professional Writing, the Journalism diploma program, and the Professional Writing diploma program were suspended in favour of the Bachelor of Communication Studies. Alberta Advanced Education and Technology approved suspensions for the terms of July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2015 for the applied degree program, and July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2013 for the diploma programs. The suspension for Professional Writing was subsequently extended to June 30, 2014 to allow part-time students to complete the diploma.

The Bachelor of Communication Studies, first offered in the 2011-2012 academic year, includes the majors Journalism, and Professional Communication.

Facilities

  • MEUA
  • Corporate body
  • 1971-
Results 1 to 10 of 49