Alberta College

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Alberta College

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1903-2020

History

Dr. T.C. Buchanan, pastor of McDougall Methodist Church in Edmonton, founded the province's first post-secondary institution in 1903 on Methodist Mission land set aside for missionary and education purposes by Reverend George McDougall. Although originally named McDougall College in honour of this early missionary to the Edmonton area, the founders soon abandoned this designation in favour of Alberta College. The college's first classes assembled on October 5, 1903 in the space above the Johnstone Walker Store on Jasper Avenue. Within two months, the original 67 students, along with four teaching staff, moved to the Masonic Hall to continue their studies in Arts, Commerce and Music under the direction of the school's first principal, Reverend Dr. John H. Riddell. The Northwest Territory Council granted a charter to Alberta College in October 1904, at which time the school moved into a new building on 101st Street, on the grounds of McDougall Methodist Church. The institution continued to undergo a number of changes, including new campuses, buildings, and the transfer to the United Church in 1926. Enrollment continued to expand in the 1930s to the 1980s.

In 1991, the provincial government passed amendments to the Alberta College Act to continue college operations as a private college independent of the United Church. Work also began on a two-phase construction project for a new facility. In 2000, the Board transferred college assets to the province, and on July 1, 2002 the facility and the majority of its programming was transferred to Grant MacEwan College. The Alberta College Campus offered academic upgrading, English as a Second Language (ESL), and the Royal Conservatory of Music. It continued as a MacEwan campus until 2020, when programming moved to Allard Hall located on City Centre Campus.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

MACU

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

City of Edmonton Archives; Alberta College Milestones brochure.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC